Roli Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student, and Linda Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student, died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were guests.
Until their death, the two students were residents of Fagunwa Hall.
CAMPUSLIFE gathered that the duo left the campus on Monday to attend an evening event off-campus. When it dawned on them that they could not return to the campus late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to pass the night.
The late Roli’s friend, who did not want to be named, said she spoke to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.
It was gathered that the victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner. CAMPUSLIFE learnt that the victims were trapped for several minutes before they were rescued from the room. They sustained first-degree burns. They were rushed to Gbagada General Hospital.
Last Saturday, Roli died at 4am and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. On Sunday, news broke that Linda, who had been in coma for six days, had also died.
A friend, who pleaded for anonymity, said she was informed about the incident by a policeman who picked up the late Roli’s call on Tuesday.
“The policeman told me that the owner of the phone (Roli) and her friend were involved in a fire accident and they were unconscious. I was told they had been moved to Trauma and Burns Unit of the Gbagada